Sunday 15 December 2013

SPOTIFY PICK #7: MONKEY PICKS OF 2013


I didn’t think 2013 had been a vintage year for new music but in compiling the now traditional end of year playlist I failed to whittle it down to the intended 20 tracks, eventually settling on 22, so it couldn't have been that bad.

They aren’t necessarily the best 22 as I’ve stuck to songs available on Spotify. Therefore, “I’ve Never Been To California” by Bronco Bullfrog misses out as do the Hidden Masters and Paul Messis, both who would have seen something from their albums included. Kurt Vile’s wonderful “Wakin’ On A Pretty Day” is omitted due to being nine and a half minutes long and as much as I love the Manics’ Rewind The Film album those songs sound better taken as a whole rather than pulling one out to sit alongside the work of others.

The coveted Album of the Year Award goes to Daniel Romano for his country masterpiece Come Cry With Me and Single of the Year is taken by The Higher State who just pip Baby Strange, with a honourable mention to the great comeback 45 by Suede.

Those with Spotify can listen here. Enjoy.

Barrence Whitfield and the Savages – The Corner Man
Suede – It Starts And Ends With You
The Primitives – Lose The Reason
Alfa 9 – Green Grass Grows
Unknown Mortal Orchestra – Swim And Sleep (Like A Shark)
The Sufis – No Expression
Baby Strange – Pure Evil
The Higher State – Potentially (Everyone Is Your Enemy)
The Junipers – And In My Dreams
Camera Obscura – Break It To You Gently
Triptides – Night Owl
Bleached – Looking For A Fight
Charlie Boyer and the Voyeurs – Things We Be
The Lucid Dream – Glue (Song For Irvine Welsh)
Foxygen – No Destruction
Babyshambles – Picture Me In A Hospital
Midlake – Antiphon
Mary Epworth – September
The See See – Featherman
Daniel Romano – He Lets Her Memory Go (Wild)
The Monks Kitchen – Shake
Mavis Staples – What Are They Doing In Heaven Today

3 comments:

  1. I'd earmarked this afternoon to polish off my own top 20, but got sidetracked listening to yours. A few familiar tunes, a couple of reminders and several new names for me to follow up on. An hour well spent - cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, job done then. I await yours with interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list there, Monkey. Suede's It Starts & Ends With You is my favourite single of this year. Fave album? Kontiki Suite. I'd earned a £1 MP3 download with Amazon so I've just got Kurt Vile's Walkin' On A Pretty Day - lovely tune and I get me money's worth at over nine minutes

    ReplyDelete