Friday 1 January 2010

NEW YEAR'S EVE PLAYLIST


Here’s what I played last night/this morning at the New Untouchables do at the 229 Club, once I’d removed Milton from my record box. New Year’s Eve isn’t the time to be too clever or take too many risks, was just a case of whacking on crowd favourites to keep the floor packed. And besides, it was so bloody dark in there I was struggling to see what was in the box anyway. Hope those that went enjoyed it.

2215-2240
King Curtis – Do The Monkey (Capitol)
King Coleman – Black Bottom Blues (Philips)
Pop Corn and The Mohawks – Shimmy Gully (Motown)
The Drifters – If You Don’t Come Back (Atlantic)
Harold Atkins – Big Ben (Vinyl Carver)
Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band – Brown Sugar (Warner Bros)
The Gospel Pearls – Two Little Fishes (Liberty)
The Impressions – Can’t Satisfy (ABC) (for Curtis Turnham’s 1st birthday)
Sugar and Sweet – You Don’t Have To Cry (Pep)
Pearl Woods – Don’t Tell It All (Crackerjack)

0210-0250
Leo Price and Band – Hey Now Baby (Up Down)
Grover Pruitt – Little Girl (Salem)
Sugar “Boy” Williams – Little Girl (Herald)
Freddy King – Now I’ve Got A Woman (Federal)
Eddie Bo – Dinky Doo (Ric)
Connie Christmas – Big Chief (Checker)
Big Daddy Rogers – I’m A Big Man (Midas)
BB King – Heartbreaker (Bluesway)
The Righteous Brothers – Little Latin Lupe Lu (Moonglow)
Marv Johnson – Come On And Stop (United Artists)
Kim Weston – Helpless (Gordy)
Barbara Randolph – I Got A Feeling (Soul)
The Isley Brothers – This Old Heart Of Mine (Tamla Motown)
Charles Sheffield – It’s Your Voodoo Working (Excello)
BB King – Think It Over (HMV)
Banny Price – You Love Me Pretty Baby (Jewel)

2 comments:

  1. I just laid my hands on The Drifter's "If You Don't Come Back" last week after digging the Gary Walker & The Rain cover.........great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd totally forgotten all about that Walker version. Dug it out this morning for a quick blast - good stuff (apart from the flabby end).

    ReplyDelete